When you buy appliances it can sometimes be a stressful and expensive investment. Do you go with stainless or white? Should you switch from electric to gas? Freezer on the top or on the bottom? These are all things to take into consideration when choosing new appliances for your kitchen. Regardless of whether you are planning a full kitchen reno or just updating the appliances, significant time should be spent ensuring the style, brand, and size of appliances are right for you. For me, opting to go with stainless steel was the easiest decision of the entire appliance shopping process. My old black appliances, while still functioning, didn’t quite call attention to the kitchen like I wanted. I knew stainless steel pieces would make the kitchen feel more “gourmet.”
Choosing a brand you trust is also important. From Whirlpool and Samsung, to LG and Maytag; learning as much about the brands you have at your fingertips is a step that cannot be ignored. Because LG is a brand I trust, choosing to go with LG’s line of appliances was a solid decision.
Today’s sophisticated appliances are packed full of features and technology that can make your decision process that much more complicated. Making a list and prioritizing the features you need in an appliance (ie: EnergyStar rated, 10 year warrant, ice maker, etc) can help you compare and ultimately pick the right appliance for you.Beyond the style, brand, and features there are appliance specific guidelines you should follow when choosing new appliances. Here are some buying tips that will help you on your buying journey.
The refrigerator is often the kitchen’s most used appliance. They come in many shapes, sizes and colours, and can have hundreds of features. Selecting the right refrigerator for your household doesn’t need to be confusing or complicated; the professionals at your local Leon’s are always ready to help. Whether you are looking for a refrigerator for your bachelor pad or your family home of five, there is a sales associate available to walk you through your options and ensure you select the right appliance for your home and your needs. Here are a few things you need to consider:
- Size // What size of refrigerator do you need? How big is the space? Taking measurements before you go shopping is key to finding a refrigerator that will fit.
- Colour // Do you want stainless steel, white, or black? Certain brands also offer brightly coloured appliances with a retro vibe.
- Configuration // Do you want a side-by-side, top mounted freezer or bottom mounted freezer drawer? There are many configurations, which one will work best for your family and your space?
- Features // What features top your list? Water and ice dispensers? Spill-proof shelves? Climate controlled drawers? Door-in-door compartments? Separate cooling systems for the fridge and freezer? Know what you need and what you want.
- Warranty // Standard warranties vary by brand and can range anywhere from 1 year to 10 years. Understanding what they cover (ie: motor, parts, labour, etc) is important.
The oven is the heart of the kitchen. It brings forth hearty dinners, luscious desserts and flavourful meals that bring the family together. Selecting an oven that is right for your home is easy when you have professionals on your side. The helpful staff at Leon’s will walk you through all the makes and models, answer your questions, and ensuring you go home with an oven that is right for your home. Here are a few things you need to consider when shopping for an oven:
- Size // What size do you need? The standard 30″ or can your space fit a higher-end 36″ range?
- Colour // Are you looking for stainless steel, white or black?
- Style // What kind of space do you have? Can it be configured to accommodate a drop-in? A slide in? Would a standard freestanding oven/range work best?
- Conventional or Convection // Don’t know the difference? The heat source in a conventional oven is stationary, usually radiating from the bottom, while in a convection oven a fan circulates the hot air around the chamber.
- Type // Gas or electric? Is your kitchen equip for gas? If not, will you be able to run a gas line?
- Features // Self cleaning? High powered burners? Fifth burner option? Warming drawer? Duel oven? Interior lighting? Smooth glide racks? Delayed bake? Digital control panels?
- Warranty // Standard warranties vary by brand and can range anywhere from 1 year to 10 years. Understanding what they cover (ie: heating elements, parts, labour, etc) is also important.
The dishwasher is like that extra pair of hands in the kitchen, freeing up your time by taking care of those messy dishes, coffee stained mugs, and greasy casserole dishes. Selecting a dishwasher for your household’s needs is simple when you have the helpful staff at Leon’s by your side. Whether you are looking for a standard model or one with all the bells and whistles, you’ll be sure to find dishwasher that suits your wants and needs. Here are a few things you need to consider when dishwasher shopping:
- Colour // Stainless steel, white or black? You’ll want the dishwasher to match your new or existing appliances for a seamless look in your kitchen.
- Configuration // Are you looking for a standard dishwasher or a trendy new “drawer” configuration?
- Noise Levels // Is silence something you value? What level of noise are you willing to commit to? There are new dishwashers on the market that are so quiet you might not even know they are running!
- Wash Cycles // How many wash cycles are required in order to get the job done? Do you need a model that has the basic light, normal and heavy? Or are you looking for special cycles like eco-wash, china, rinse-only, sanitize?
- Features // Multiple trays? Concealed controls? Rinse aid dispenser?
Taking the time to do your research and talk to the professionals is a step that shouldn’t be avoided when considering such a huge investment into new kitchen appliances. No matter the appliance you can find what you are looking for at Leon’s.
Wondering what LG appliances I went with? Check out my mini-kitchen makeover REVEAL here.